It is currently Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bad New Albany FB program.....
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:50 am 
Varsity

Don't live in that area so can someone tell me why is New Albany's FB program so horrible?....Knew they would get blasted by Center Grove again in sectional....they can't compete with hardly anyone...Is school going to let the program flounder forever ?....or I think maybe they just don't care and just field a team because they have too.... :?:

Post subject: Re: Bad New Albany FB program.....
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:12 pm 
There are many reasons why New Albany and the other schools in the Hoosier Hills conference with the exception of Columbus East do not have dominate football programs such as schools in the Indy area. Many fans are much more concerned with the basketball programs than football. At Floyd Central a large percentage of the fans in the stands leave at halftime after watching the band and dance team perform. Bottom line is that football is just not that important to many people in this part of Indiana.

There has just not been much talent in the conference over the last 20 years as New Albany, Floyd Central, Madison and Jennings County have not had one player receive a football scholarship to a division 1 school. Bedford has had one, Seymour and Jeffersonville two players got scholarships. But Columbus East has had numerous players receive scholarships. This has meant that the players do not play against that many good players from other schools. Another factor is the Louisville powers Trinity and St Xavier recruit Clark/Floyd counties as at least one of the top 8th grade players in New Albany is going to Trinity next year.

However New Albany and Floyd Central got artificial turf this year which does show a commitement to improve the progams. There are many people who support the programs but there is just not the support that one sees in other parts of Indiana and the Midwest.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:16 am 
Varsity

well i see where Charlie Fields has resigned as the NA FB coach...step in the right direction i'm sure...he was really bad.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:46 am 
With all the talent in this years 8th grade at Scribner and Hazelwood this job should be quite attractive for a coach you wants to build a program. Also NA has a good chance to drop to 5A for the next two years. The problem when Field's was hired was there were not any teaching positions open to hire outside the school system. If NA has the same problem this year they could recreate the credit recovery position that was eliminated by the board earlier this year. This is the job FC gave to Lieberman.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:24 pm 
MVP

JUST A FAN wrote:
There has just not been much talent in the conference over the last 20 years as New Albany, Floyd Central, Madison and Jennings County have not had one player receive a football scholarship to a division 1 school. Bedford has had one, Seymour and Jeffersonville two players got scholarships. But Columbus East has had numerous players receive scholarships. This has meant that the players do not play against that many good players from other schools.

However New Albany and Floyd Central got artificial turf this year which does show a commitement to improve the progams. There are many people who support the programs but there is just not the support that one sees in other parts of Indiana and the Midwest.

Right off the top of my head, I'm pretty sure that Dartmouth is D1, Kyle Bramble of FC went there to play Football. Based on just that I would question your numbers. FYI, 2012 is the latest numbers I can find quickly, but in 2012, Indiana produced 46 D1 players, so I'm not sure your analogy holds water. I would guess there's more that one conference that's not producing consistent D1 talent. D1 talent is not the be all end all measuring stick of a successful high school program. How many D1 players has Brownstown produced, yet they've been pretty successful on the field.

New Albany has been a program of perpetual mediocrity. Can anyone tell me the last time they had a solid winning program there? As far as field turf showing a sign of commitment, FC was getting it because they can, NA got it because they get what they rich cousins in the burbs get.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:15 pm 
New Albany has been a program of perpetual mediocrity. Can anyone tell me the last time they had a solid winning program there? As far as field turf showing a sign of commitment, FC was getting it because they can, NA got it because they get what they rich cousins in the burbs get.[/quote]

NA was 11-2 and HHC/Sectional champs in 2002. They have, for the most part, been a .500 program since then.

Concerning your statement on the turf fields.....that's not exactly the way it worked.NA pushed for a turf field 8 years ago......FC wanted to stay with natural grass. FC recently changed their mind, so the school board funded both fields. The rich cousins didn't purchase that field, Floyd Co. tax payers did. We did get a 15% discount by having the turf company do both fields at the same time. The school board made a commitment to both programs in purchasing the turf.....and it's long over due.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 4:08 pm 
MVP

Misplaced Texan wrote:
NA was 11-2 and HHC/Sectional champs in 2002. They have, for the most part, been a .500 program since then.

Concerning your statement on the turf fields.....that's not exactly the way it worked.NA pushed for a turf field 8 years ago......FC wanted to stay with natural grass. FC recently changed their mind, so the school board funded both fields. The rich cousins didn't purchase that field, Floyd Co. tax payers did. We did get a 15% discount by having the turf company do both fields at the same time. The school board made a commitment to both programs in purchasing the turf.....and it's long over due.

Since 1994 NA is:
94 2-7
95 4-5
96 2-7
97 4-5
98 3-7
99 4-6
00 7-4
01 3-7
02 11-2
03 6-5
04 6-4
05 4-6
06 5-5
07 4-6
08 6-4
09 2-9
10 5-6
11 1-9
12 5-5
13 6-4
14 1-9
Total 91-122
They had a great year in 02, but I'd say that record pretty much defines mediocrity at best.

Granted the property owners of Floyd County paid for it, but it still didn't happen until the rich cousins on the hill went along with it. I agree 100% NA desperately needed it. That field has been horrible for years. Perhaps we can get the rest of the HHC on board with it.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:17 am 
I certainly agree they've been mediocre. The football program at NA has had a lot work against it in those years for sure. However, with the updates at the stadium and some talent in the pipeline, I'm hoping the next coaching hire can pull us up to the next level. We'll see if they can get it right this time. As much as I respect what Providence has done with their football program, there's really no excuse for NA (or FC) to lose to them very often.

I'd love to see the rest of the HHC go to turf, but given the budget constraints across the state, I'm not sure it's feasible for many. I know most 6A schools have turf (Jeff may be the last not to), but as you go down in classes it's harder to find.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:37 am 
MVP

I've always scratched my head with NA. In the years I've been around, following high school sports anyway, since the early 80's NA is a school that's always in a perpetual state of rebuilding. They obviously have some athletes, why is it no one can consistently win there? While Jeff falls into the same boat to some extent, they seem to be up more than down and have had a few more decent season over the years.

It looks like NA will go back to 5A next year, that should help their cause a little, but it doesn't change the regular season schedule.

I'm not privy to most schools finances, I don't see JC adding turf any time in the near future. Seymour has the money, and there has been talk, my guess is nothing happens until the bonds are paid off for the two elementary schools. I could see BNL adding it at some point, they like Seymour I believe have the money. I have no idea about Madison, Jeff doesn't take care of anything they have. They have great facilities that are for the most part in a sad state of disrepair. Their gym floor may be one of the worst in the state. You might want to clean that thing once in a while.

Another point, in a time where retired/buyout teachers are not being replaced and classes are being cut. This becomes a tough sale to the folks. Most voters don't understand that the money comes from different places and in many cases there is money to add turf, but the taxpayers have a full understanding of how this works.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:22 am 
NA has a number of issues that hurt the football program. The priority of basketball, poor feeder system, closeness to Louisville, and to a certain extent, coaching all have contributed. The Louisville factor is a real problem as there have been 3 D1 football players from NA go to St. Xavier in Louisville instead of NA recently. 2 went to Army and another to Boston College to play football. Losing those quality of players is tough and hard to overcome regardless of the other problems. The difference they'd have made can't be overstated.

I agree it's a tough sale to voters/taxpayers.....mostly because of the way it's presented to them. I know NA/FC school system was spending somewhere between 30-50K a year maintaining the grass fields at NA and FC. Mowing/watering/fertilizing can get expensive. The multi use aspect can't be overlooked, although NA's field has not been lined for that purpose.....but for many schools that is a great selling point. There is also ample data to support the safety factor in regards to concussion/leg injury reduction with turf fields. Too many times we miss the forest because of the trees.