It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Kyle Neddenriep of Indy Star submits 1st ballot
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:31 pm 
MVP

The first AP poll will allegedly come out tomorrow.

Neddenriep's picks

4A
1.New Albany
2.Fort Wayne North Side
3.Ben Davis
4.Bloomington South
5.Lawrence North
6.Floyd Central
7.Carmel
8.South Bend Riley
9.Hamilton Southeastern
10. Center Grove

3A
1.Evansville Bosse
2.Culver Academy
3. Brebeuf Jesuit
4.Crispus Attucks
5. Tri-West
6. Cardinal Ritter
7. Silver Creek
8.Danville
9. Beech Grove
10. Evansville Memorial

His 4A top ten looks pretty solid to me, although I might have FC and BS switch places in mine. According to him, NA will face the #2 4A team on a neutral site, to go along with road games against the 4A #4 #6 and #7, plus the 3A #7.

Link to his complete 4A-1A ballot: https://tinyurl.com/y9dnqmcu

Post subject: Re: Kyle Neddenriep of Indy Star submits 1st ballot
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:08 pm 
All-Star

NAtroll12 wrote:
His 4A top ten looks pretty solid to me, although I might have FC and BS switch places in mine.

Not a bad list, but Carmel should be higher in my opinion. Even with a new coach, they have as much talent as anyone every single season and quite possibly the best center in the state playing for them. I would have Bloomington South a bit lower also. And I definitely think Warren Central will be in the top ten by the end of the year.

For me it would be:
1. Fort Wayne North
2. New Albany
3. Ben Davis
4. Carmel
5. Lawrence North
6. Floyd Central
7. Warren Central
8. Center Grove
9. Bloomington South
10. South Bend Riley

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:27 pm 
MVP

I don't know if I'd say that Carmel has as much talent as anybody every single season, but they certainly have a lot of talent every year. Regardless, I think having them at #4 would be reasonable.

Warren Central arguably had the best regular season of any team in the state for 2016-17, but they lose so much from last season. I read an Indy Star article last year that said they used like 7 or 8 seniors, including their top player Mack Smith. I have heard that they landed a couple of transfers that they feel good about, so we'll have to see how they perform.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:25 am 
Legend

Pretty close. Bloomington South is too high. That NA/FW Northside game. What a matchup.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:06 pm 
All-Star

NAtroll12 wrote:
I don't know if I'd say that Carmel has as much talent as anybody every single season

You are quite right, I didn't word that especially well. I would say that over the course of years they have the most talent overall because of their gargantuan student body and unlimited financial resources, but no, they do not literally have the most talent in any given season.

NAtroll12 wrote:
Warren Central arguably had the best regular season of any team in the state for 2016-17, but they lose so much from last season. I read an Indy Star article last year that said they used like 7 or 8 seniors, including their top player Mack Smith. I have heard that they landed a couple of transfers that they feel good about, so we'll have to see how they perform.

According to the school's website, the Warriors did graduate 6 seniors from last year's squad, so that is certainly a hit. However, they still have a fair amount of size, they also have an enormous student body to choose from (third-largest school in the state), and they have added the services of Antwaan Cushingberry, who I happen to rate very highly as a talent, even if the college offers have not been forthcoming (perhaps owing to his lack of size). In the end, it may not be Warren that emerges as the third major player from out of Indianapolis - it could just as easily be Pike or North Central or Cathedral or whoever else - but there are sure to be more than two very good teams from Indy in any given year and Warren seems as likely a choice as anyone else.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:44 pm 
MVP

I was actually not aware that Cushingberry was one of the transfers that they had received. I guess I could have looked that up. I had just been told by someone who follows the program that they had 2 transfers who they expect to be good this year. This changes things. Cushingberry is an excellent PG, probably LN's most productive player when I saw them last season at the Hall of Fame Tournament.