Post subject: Re: Matt Trimnell and Cody Banet Sign LOI
PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 11:17 am 
Article about Trimnell from Seymour Tribune:

Trimnell signs with IU East Red Wolves
Comments 0 | Recommend 3
May 12, 2010 1:40 AM
By ZACH SPICER
Matt Trimnell’s dream has come true.

After years on the basketball court, perfecting all of his skills, the Seymour High School senior has earned the chance to play college basketball.

On Monday at the high school, he signed his national letter of intent to play for the Indiana University East Red Wolves.

IU East head coach Mark Hester had high praise for the 6-foot-4 guard.

“On paper, he’s the most decorated recruit we’ve ever had,” Hester said in a press released issued by the university. “He’s going to have a lot of expectations on and off the court, but his college career could be as good as he wants it to be in every aspect.”

Hester predicted Red Wolves fans would like watching Trimnell in action, and he certainly made a name for himself at Seymour and statewide.

Taking the court

Playing basketball, baseball and football at an early age, Trimnell eventually dedicated his time solely to basketball.

“He actually started playing on a team in Columbus when he was in second grade,” his mother, Teri Trimnell, said during the signing on Monday. “He’s always played basketball ever since he was little.”

While he played baseball and football a few years, she said, “Basketball has always been his first love. I think it’s just the love of the game and the speed and shooting the ball.”

The Trimnells live across from Gaiser Park in Seymour, and Teri said Matt was there many nights playing basketball. Plus, he played AAU from seventh grade on up all summer long.

“It’s just something I’ve always done and something I could always go to and something I’ve always been good at,” Matt said. “I loved playing sports growing up, but I just kind of dropped everything for basketball because that’s what I loved the most.”

Steady progression

By his freshman season, playing for the Owls, Matt said he was 6-3 and about 150 pounds.

“I put on about 40 or 50 pounds, only gaining an inch,” he said. “But I couldn’t dribble the ball my freshman year. All I could do was shoot, and that’s one of the main reasons I was on varsity, then defense came, so I just improved everything pretty much.”

He ended up earning the 3-point award that season, and he earned most valuable player honors the next three years.

During his sophomore year, he suffered a back injury, but he still managed to play in 19 games, scoring a total of 313 points and averaging 16.47. He scored 20 or more points four times and had a high of 28.

He also missed a few games his junior season, but again, he was able to score 361 points through 20 games, with a season high of 34. He scored 31 points in the sectional game, and he made it into the 20s six times.

By his senior season, he took charge and scored 487 points, putting him at seventh in the state and ninth on the school’s single-season record list.

Trimnell tied Baron Hill on top of the single-season scoring average list at 24.4 per game this past winter, and his average was the ninth-best in the state. He set the single-game 3-point record, nailing nine treys in a game at Floyd Central. That night, he also had a career-high 42 points in the Owls’ win.

Trimnell finished his career with 1,298 points, good for fifth on the all-time list. This winter, he also led the team in assists and free throws, putting him at seventh with an 87.8 percentage at the free-throw line.

In the Dec. 22 home game with Scottsburg, Trimnell became the 15th Owl to hit the 1,000-point mark in scoring.

“It was something special, but it was nothing I ever thought would come and nothing I ever worried about coming,” Matt said of reaching 1,000 points. “I was just out playing basketball every Friday night, and one day it came.”

Seymour head coach Scott Miller, who coached Trimnell all four years, said Matt worked toward that milestone.

“A thousand points is difficult to do, to maintain that shooting percentage was difficult to do, and that doesn’t happen on accident,” Miller said. “That happens on putting the time in. All good players in everything have talent, but in order to do something with it, you have to spend the time, and that’s what made the range and made the scoring ability he had come true.”

Throughout his high school career, Trimnell received recognition from the Hoosier Hills Conference, was an honorable mention all-state selection, was one of Indiana’s top 60 seniors and was named to the Indiana Basketball Coaches Association senior all-state list, among other honors.

Going forward

Miller said Trimnell made his presence known on both sides of the ball, and he expects that to happen at the college level, too.

“He’s a very, very good basketball player,” Miller said. “He understands the game exceptionally well. He’s a gym rat. In fact, there’s times when you’ve got to run him out when it’s time to go. He loves the game, works hard and cares about what he’s doing, and it’s going to pay off for him. He’s going to take that same work ethic, same attitude, and be successful and help IU East be successful.”

IU East wasn’t Trimnell’s only option, but he chose the NAIA Division II school after a recent visit to the Richmond campus.

“Of all the visits I’ve taken over the past year and a half, I just felt like I fit in best there,” he said. “I molded best with the players, and it was a place I could see myself for the next four years.”

He is the eighth signee in the school’s 2010 recruiting class, which also includes Cody Banet from Floyd Central.

“It was more stressful than anything I’ve probably ever done,” Trimnell said of narrowing down the college choice. “But it just came down to laying out the pros and the cons of schools, and IU East came out on top.”

Trimnell is hoping to carry the Red Wolves far in tournament play. IU East plays in the Kentucky Intercollegiate Athletic Conference.

“I’m hoping that my best years of improving are in the future,” he said.

Of what he brings to the program, he said, “The ability to score the ball and unselfishness, which is something all the IU East players when I played there had. They were all unselfish, willing to get you the ball. Hopefully we can do something big in the tourney.”

Playing basketball won’t be his only focus, as he’s going to study accounting.

Miller said he’s proud of everything his senior star accomplished, and he encourages him to keep it up.

“He’s represented this school well, he’s representing himself well and we’re excited for him,” Miller said. “This has been a great group of seniors for us. It always makes you sad as a coach to see them go, but it’s exciting to see their future develop.”

As for words of advice, Miller said, “Keep the same attitude and same work ethic and things will be fine. I’m a big believer that good things happen to good people, and he’s a good guy. He’s going to be successful.”

Teri couldn’t agree more.

“He’s a very good young man with a great big heart,” she said. “He’d do anything for anybody.”

Of her reaction to the day of her son’s signing, Teri said, “I could just stand here and cry, which I’ve done plenty of. It makes me very proud as a mother that he’s accomplished as much as he has. I think he’s leaving quite a big legacy behind. He’s going to be a hard act to follow.”